24 April 2015

William McCulloch, Portsoy

Today Portsoy remembers William A McCulloch, Pte 27289, serving in the Canadian Infantry 15th Battalion, who was killed in action near Ypres on 24th April 1915, at the age of 31.  His father, John McCulloch, was a draper at 13 Aird Street.  William is commemorated on the Menin Gate memorial at Ypres.

18 March 2015

In memory of William Littlejohn, Portsoy

On this day we reflect on the sacrifice of William Littlejohn, Gunner 2014 in the Royal Garrison Artillery (34th), who died of his injuries on 18th March 1915 at the Royal Military Hospital, Isle of Wight.  He left behind a widowed wife, Jane Morrison, Chapel Street, Portsoy.  His grave can be found in Portsoy’s old burial ground.

13 March 2015

In memory of William Charles Bremner, 1898 - 1915

Charlie Bremner was brought up in Banff, the son of William Bremner and Mary Beaton.  He was already serving in the 6th Battalion Gordon Highlanders (a Territorial unit) when war was declared 1914.  Just after his 16th birthday he left Britain with his comrades, bound for France.  On 13th March 1915 the battalion went into action, attacking the strategic objective of Neuve Chapelle.  Over 300 casualties were sustained during this operation.  Charlie is commemorated, together with other casualties of this action, at the nearby Le Touret memorial.

James Williamson, Glassaugh, Fordyce

Today we remember James Williamson, Pte 1465, 6th Battalion Gordon Highlanders, a casualty of the battle of Neuve Chapelle.  James was the son of J. Williamson, gamekeeper at Glassaugh, Fordyce, and was aged just 19 when he died on 13th March 1915.  He is named on the memorial at Le Touret in Pas de Calais, France.

10 February 2015

John McWilliam & James Morrison

On this day we remember the sacrifice made by John McWilliam, Pte 906, 6th Battalion Gordon Highlanders and by James A. Morrison, L/Cpl 971, also 6th Battalion Gordon Highlanders.  Both were killed in action on 10th February 1915.

John McWilliam lived at Backgreen, Portsoy, and James Morrison lived at 3, Culbert Street, Portsoy.

They are both commemorated at the Rue Petillon cemetery , Fleurbaix, Pas de Calais, France.

25 January 2015

Robert J. Gordon

Today we remember Portsoy war casualty Robert J. Gordon, Pte 10013, 1st Scots Guards, the son of Jessie Thomson (formerly Gordon), 182 Newlands Road, Cathcart, Glasgow.  He was 24 years old when he fell in action on 25th January 1915.  He is commemorated on the Le Touret memorial, Pas de Calais, France.

28 December 2014

Wester Findon, Gamrie


There is to be let, for such number of years as may be agreed upon, and entered to at Whitsunday next,

THE Farm of WESTER FINDON, in the parish of Gamrie, and county of Banff, as lately occupied by the deceased James Dockar, on a liferent lease.

On the Farm there is an excellent Dwelling House, Threshing Mill, and suitable offices.  It contains upwards of 100 acres, all in excellent heart, and of very superior quality.  The situation, being in the immediate vicinity of the thriving town of Gardenston, is highly adapted for carrying on every improvement, at a moderate expence.

The Farm having been under a liferent lease, a tenant will enter under very advantageous circumstances; and to such as are well recommended, every encouragement will be given.

The boundaries of the Farm will be pointed out by James Leggat, near Gardenston, or John Pirie, ground-officer; and every information will be afforded on application to Mr Burnett, Advocate, Aberdeen.

Published in the Aberdeen Journal, Wednesday 28th December 1814.